Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What is Fair Use and Intellectual Property 101

Hello:

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday. This time of year is always busy for me because clients want to wrap up legal issues before the end of the year and I have a family that demands my attention with all the Holiday hoopla!

Currently, I am working on a very interesting story about what does copyright case law say about proper linking and quoting in regards to copyright infringement. What is Fair Use and what is not? As copyright owners, we do not want individuals quoting our work without our permission. However, service providers and news organization want to be able to provide 'snippets' or a portion of copyright protected material and links without always having to go to the copyright owner for permission. So I will explore in my article what does the law say about this delicate balance between copyright infringement and Fair use? Stay tuned, it will be a very informative and interesting piece.

Also, next week I am speaking to a momprenuer networking group about Intellectual Property 101! Yes, these ladies have some pretty genius products and business ideas and they want to know how to protect them. So I will explain the difference between patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyrights; how to properly protect these types of intellectual property and the benefits of licensing and royalty income. I love educating individuals on Intellectual Property and am I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Roger McDorman said...

When it comes to fair use vs. copyright infringement, we are definitely living in "interesting times" (as envisioned by the old Chinese blessing/curse).

I'm sure you're already aware of these, but I thought it worth mentioning two extremes defining the contours of the fair use/infringement debate right now:

The Righthaven / Copyright Troll phenomenon, and the Cooks Source, On-the-Internet-equals-in-the-public-domain kerfuffle .

city immigration company said...

Hey Phillips.

Any new info about the article? it would be interesting to read.

Thanks

janetfenton12 said...

Good Written post.I satisfied with this information.Thanks for done...
----
patent attorney los angeles